Sunday, December 14, 2008

IEP

For my IEP project I decided to make a website for my PE program at Nunaka Valley. My first step was to talk with our tech. person to find out if our school already had a webpage and if so how hard would it be to add a PE page to it. Turns out we did already have a page but it was very stagnant and outdated. If you are interested in checking out our old website click here. Another problem with the old page is that it was difficult to get to. Unless you had the page bookmarked you had to go through the Anchorage School District's website to get to ours.

The music teacher and I got together and decided to make a new website for our school that could be easily updated with new stuff that way we could keep people coming back. The website is now simply nunakavalley.com. It has turned out to be a great thing for our school!

We used WordPress as our publishing platform. Our website uses a blog type of layout that allows us to constantly update it with ease. Parents and students can expect to see something new every few days. The website also allows us to have pages set up for teachers. A few teachers have already taken advantage of this. They use their pages to post weekly homework, assignments and other things. We are still working on helping teachers set up their pages. Hopefully they will all have their own page soon.

In the process of setting up the site and my page I had to learn how to use WordPress as well as several other web services. I had to become familiar with Picasa to upload pictures, create web albums, and make slide shows. I had to embed media into pages and posts, and I dabbled a little with Html. I learned to use MyStudiyo to make and embed online quizzes into the site. All in all I have become a lot more technologically competent as a result of this IEP assignment and our school has come away with a very valuable communication tool.

Click here to view the new Nunaka Valley Website!

Click here to see the website's Educational Application.

No comments: